Swiss Choral Music from the 19th to the 21st Century
The event “Swiss Choral Music from the 19th to the 21st Century” took place on the 17th-18th September and 3rd October 2021. A two-day conference at the University of Bern was followed by concerts at the Französische Kirche Bern and the Aula of the University of Fribourg.
The conference focused on topics such as choral life in different regions of Switzerland from the 19th to the 21st century, present and past choral compositions, as well as social, political, and historical aspects related to choral societies and their activities.
The two concerts offered a rare opportunity to hear live vocal works by Swiss composers from the 19th century to our days, including two world premieres by the composers Leopold Dick and Jean-François Michel, specially commissioned for this event.
This event is a cooperation between the Association Musica Classica Bern, the research project CLEFNI (Institute of Musicology, University of Bern), the Chamber Choir of the University of Fribourg and the HKB — Bern University of the Arts.
Conference “Choral Life in Switzerland, 19th-21st Century”
- 17-18 September 2021, Aula Muesmatt, University of Bern
The conference programme is now available!
Participation in the conference is free of charge, but registration is needed.
- Professor Friedhelm Brusniak (Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg, Germany): Zum Wandel vom Liedertafelstil zur Chorpolyphonie im 19. und 20. Jahrhundert
- PD Dre Delphine Vincent (Université de Fribourg, Switzerland): Chœur du peuple et théâtre populaire au Théâtre du Jorat
- Professor Beat Föllmi (Université de Strasbourg, France): Das Chorwerk von Othmar Schoeck: von der Postromantik zur Avantgarde und darüber hinaus
- Composers: Leopold Dick and Jean-François Michel
- Moderation: Dr Irène Minder-Jeanneret, Dictionary of Music in Switzerland
Concerts “Swiss Vocal Music, 19th-21st Century”
- BERN: 18 September 2021, 7:30 pm, Französische Kirche. Tickets
- FRIBOURG: 3 October 2021, 5 pm, Aula de l’Université de Fribourg. Tickets
- Works by Caroline Charrière, Hans Huber, Emile Jaques Dalcroze, Jean Binet, Othmar Schoeck, Gion Antoni Derungs, Heinz Holliger.
- World premiere of commissioned works by Leopold Dick and Jean-François Michel
- Check out the full programme here.
- Canto Classico Konzertchor Bern – Willi Derungs, direction
- Choeur de Chambre de l’Université de Fribourg – Pascal Mayer, direction
- Soloists and Instrumentalists of the HKB — Bern University of the Arts